Social Security Disability Help

If you are not able to work because of your mental or physical health then you may qualify for Social Security benefits.

Social Security has two types of benefits you may qualify for. SSDI or Social Security Disability Insurance is a program that pays benefits to an employee and certain family members if you worked and paid Social Security taxes. SSI or Supplemental Security Income is a needs based program for those not insured through employment who have limited resources to care for themselves. To learn more about these two programs and there differences follow this link to the SSA fact sheet.

For even more information on disability benefits and to begin the application process.

SOAR or the SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery is a national program designed to increase access to Social Security benefits for eligible adults and children who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness and have a serious mental illness, medical impairment, and/or a co-occurring substance use disorder. The program provides a specially trained caseworker to assist you with the application while speeding up the process and can decrease the chances of being denied because off errors.
To learn more about the SOAR program follow this link to the SOAR Works website.

To find a SOAR caseworker in Kansas visit this link.

To find a SOAR caseworker in Missouri visit this link.

Some people choose to use an attorney to help them apply and get the benefits they deserve or to help file an appeal if the application was denied. These attorneys charge a fee but most do not collect unless and until they have gotten you approved for benefits. A good way to find an attorney is through the states Bar Association.
For Kansas, follow this link.

For Missouri follow this link.

Veteran Support

If you are a Veteran, you may also qualify for benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs like VA healthcare, VA disability benefits, or a VA pension.
Follow this link to learn more about Veterans benefits and how to apply.

If you need help with understanding and applying for VA benefits or appealing a decision then you may want to find a VSO or Veteran’s Service Organization that can help you.